Insulation in the home or attic is recommended to be removed and replaced once every decade or so. It is a commonly overlooked cost that homeowners are sometimes more likely to put off than other seemingly more urgent home maintenance projects. The experts at Greenstar Insulation urge you do get this task done ASAP if your current home or attic insulation is older than fifteen years.
Usually the effectiveness of the insulation material starts to diminish after around ten years, but if it’s been closer to twenty for your property then it’s likely an inspection is in order. That’s not to say, however, that other factors can’t contribute to your insulation losing its effectiveness and accelerating it’s deterioration.
How To Know If Your Insulation Is Ready For Replacement
There are a few signs that are definite indicators that your home or attic insulation needs to be replaced. Insulation comes in a variety of materials that are installed custom depending on climate, areas of the home, and preference.
- Moisture can get into your walls, crawl spaces, roofs or attics in a number of ways. Heavy rain without proper drainage, old faulty roofing, or even just living in a humid environment can find its way into insulation. Unfortunately, there isn’t much you can do, but remove and replace after this has taken place. Not only are mildew and mold more likely with the presence of moisture, animals will also find such conditions more habitable.
- Aging, obviously, occurs to pretty much everything in the home. Maintenance is just a part of being a homeowner and when it comes to insulations, aging is a common reason for routine replacement. Usually, in good conditions, insulation will last at least ten years. Upon further inspection, however, if you see staining, flaking insulation, or holes and gaps within the insulation it’s likely time to call your local insulation company to come take a look.
- Damage can come in a few different forms, but the most prevalent type of insulation damage is dealt from animals. Squirrels and mice are the most common culprits, but even raccoons and bats have been known to creep their way in from time to time. These critters love insulation for burrows and nests to keep them warm during those winter months. Don’t let animals destroy your insulation or infest your home and call a local pest control company if you suspect attic intruders.
- Hazardous Materials such as asbestos and urea-formaldehyde were popular insulation materials used in homes up until the mid 1970. That means if you just moved into an older home and you’re not sure if the previous owners dealt possibly harmful insulation materials you should call for a home insulation specialist for peace of mind at the very least.
- Ineffective Insulation If your energy bills have been climbing in the summer or dead of winter months, it could mean your home and attic insulation is due for a removal and replacement. As time goes on, blown in insulation, spray foam insulation, and pump in insulation all become less effective at properly sealing all those cracks and crannies in the home. That means cool air is escaping in the summer and penetrating into the home in the winter. If this is the case in your older home, call Greenstar Insulation today for the best insulation removal and replacement service in the Shreveport and Bossier City area.
The Best Place In Shreveport For An Easy Painless Insulation Removal Process
Greenstar Insulation is Shreveport and Bossier City’s premier insulation removal and installation contractors. Our experts have been awarded an A+ ranking with the BBB over it’s ten years in business and are well known for their professionalism and premier service. We will make your attic, roof, wall or crawl space insulation removal and replacement simple and easy for the homeowner in the most efficient and cost effective way possible. Our attic insulation removal and replacement cost is industry competitive and the quality of service is bar none.
Save On Your Energy Bills With An Updated Home And Attic Insulation Service
The interesting thing that some people don’t realize about putting off an attic insulation installation or home insulation replacement is how financially responsible it is. In a matter of five years the service is likely to have already paid for itself. That means the remaining 5-10 years on the insulations useful lifetime will actually be saving you money in most cases. Having a well insulated home vs not is simply a no brainer! Call Greenstar Insulation today for a free home inspection.